POSITION: Media Officer (full-time)
Deadline for Application: 15 July 2019
The Coalition for Clean and Fair Election (BERSIH 2.0) is seeking a Media Officer who is passionate about clean, free and fair election and defending democracy. Applicants need to be well versed in communication skills, understand social media and able to work in a team.
The Media Officer is expected to:
1. Lead the development of BERSIH 2.0’s communication strategy and work plan and coordinate its implementation to advance BEESIH 2.0’s vision and mission.
2. Lead the identification, development and implementation of critical strategies and interventions in relation to mainstream media advocacy such as newspapers, television and radio as well as online media and social media advocacy
3. Monitor and ensure documentation of media intervention made by BERSIH 2.0 to facilitate assessment and strategising.
4. Assist in documentation of events organised by BERSIH 2.0 in photographs or videos.
5. Assist in organizing press conferences, including press advisory, press room arrangement, live streaming etc.
6. Assist in drafting, editing and translation of press statements.
7. Assist in designing online posters of events from time to time.
8. Assist in coordination of production of BERSIH 2.0’s publication and other advocacy tools and resources such as video, online apps etc.
9. Assist in maintaining and improving BERSIH 2.0’s outreach through social media such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter and Instagram.
10. Assist in maintaining and improving website of BERSIH 2.0, including www.pemantau.org
11. Establish, update and grow BERSIH 2.0’s archive of photographs and videos
12. Work as part of the BERSIH 2.0 team in providing media strategy support to all program staff
The successful applicant will be joining a motivated, dedicated team of staff and executive committee with a diverse range of specialties and experiences. Our ideal candidate will:
1. Be a Malaysian citizen.
2. Be highly motivated and committed to the vision, mission and value statement of BERSIH 2.0.
3. Support the advancement of free and fair elections and vibrant and genuine democracy in Malaysia.
4. Be strategic and analytical, with the ability to communicate ideas effectively.
5. Have strong leadership and inter-personal skills, and be able to work independently or as part of a team.
6. Have strong spoken and written communication skills in Bahasa Malaysia and English. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage.
7. Possess experience in developing and implementing effective communication strategies and work plan in relation to maintstream media (print, television, radio) as well as in online media (website and social media)
8. Demonstrate strong ICT skills and technical knowledge with social media platforms.
9. Possess at least three (3) years of effective experience working in the area of strategic communication in issues related to free and fair elections, institutional reform and democracy. Applicants with less years of work experience may be considered dependent on demonstrated skills and past accomplishments.
Salary will commensurate with experience and the organisation’s salary scale. Applications for the position must include:
• A cover letter with current and expected salary, and which addresses the job requirements.
• A comprehensive resume and copies of academic transcripts.
• Samples of written work and communication materials developed in Bahasa Malaysia and English.
• Contact information for two work references.
• A recent passport-sized photograph.
Applicants must submit their applications by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 July 2019 no later than 5:00 PM.
Please mark your subject line with “Application for Media Officer”. Only short-listed candidates will receive a notification for an interview. If you would like to speak with us, please e-mail us at the address above or call 03-7931 4444.